Instead of going to school today, I went to the elementary school and helped out with Cat in the Hat Day in celebration of Dr. Seuss's birthday. I participated with a 5th grade class, and got to know some of the kids, especially at lunch.
There were these two boys. Both were small, African Americans, smart and funny. One had glasses and had big plans for his future. He is going to go to Princeton and become a doctor. He knows he will have to go to medical school, so he is already studying hard. The other boy was slightly bigger and has plans to be an NFL football player. He talked about how good he is at tackling (especially in comparison to the other boy).
But what stuck out about these boys rather than the other 20 fifth graders was that they sat down to the lunch table, folded their hands, bowed their heads, and prayed. I'd say that the future is in good hands...especially the future of doctors and NFL players.
No comments:
Post a Comment