I judge people. Many times I do it before I realize it, but immediately, judgement becomes a barrier. Judging someone as too good or not good enough for you, or as rude or selfish makes you shy away from them before you even get to know who they are. Today, I went to Starbucks at about 9PM to visit with a friend. I ordered my drink, the barista let me know it'd be finished in a few minutes, and I sat down. About 10 minutes later, I walked up to the counter, saw my drink and picked it up. "Well, she could have told me it was ready" was the thought running through my mind.
My friend walks in and goes to order her drink. She and another friend stand at the counter looking at something after they've ordered, another customer comes in, and the barista asks, "Are you done?" They nod yes, sit down, and we all whisper about how sassy she is. Later on, she comes by and lets us know that they close in 15 minutes. As she walks away, we joked about how she must not want us here, etc.
And then, just a few minutes later, she comes back, hands us a pastry bag, and says "here are some cake pops," and walks away. Whoa whoa whoa! Our sassy and rude barista just gave us free cake pops?
Then the guilt set in. A quick acknowledgement of God and his unconditional and nonjudgmental love was just what I needed. Who may be trying to give you some cake pops?
No comments:
Post a Comment