July 25-August 1: We Are Family
I spent the past week in Glen Arbor, Michigan at the family reunion of my mom's maternal extended family: basically her mom's siblings and all of their descendants, 44 people in all ranging from more than 70 years old to less than 2 years old. It's been three years since I'd seen most of these people. A lot can happen in three years. In three years, our family had increased by 3 children, babies had become kids, kids had become teenagers, teenagers had become adults, couples had become parents, parents had become empty-nesters. Three years can make family seem like strangers.
In other words, this time last week, I was sitting watching the sunset with familiar faces but otherwise unfamiliar people. However, what separates family from strangers is that the uncertainty and unfamiliarity quickly disappears. With family, it no longer seems to matter whether we know each others' recent events; we're family and that's all we need to know. Instantly, all barriers that have developed over three years disappear and bonds of trust develop from encouragement and kindness. That's family. And when you know that these bonds need to last another three years, a week becomes precious time.
Therefore, over the past week, I have gotten to know many of my cousins, aunts and uncles, and I have become more and more grateful for the amazing family I have. I have witnessed some families that have been shattered by divorce, death, and illness, but my family stands strong, and I cannot ask for anything greater. This week I have been inspired by the kindness of everyone around me. I was continually welcomed by warm smiles and hugs. I was in awe of the loving parent-kid relationships. I was motivated by wise and encouraging tips for my future. I am proud to call each of those 43 people my family. And though the events of this week and the relationships I have formed are ones that will continue with me for many years, what sticks with me most is the beautiful image that could one day also represent the family of God.
"Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity." 1 Timothy 5:1-2
Timothy encourages us to treat every person as family. Can you imagine a world where sitting watching the sunset with strangers feels the same as sitting and watching the sunset with family? After this week, I can, and it's beautiful. Is it impossible to accomplish this? Yes, if we were alone.
But we're not. We have the God of the universe on our side, and I think He would gladly support the reunion of the family of God. One day, it won't matter who's watching the sunset because every person will be family.
No comments:
Post a Comment