It's easy to get wrapped up in the bad stuff--when it's too hot, or too crowded, or too boring--but when we're filled with these negativities, they overpower the positivities. And when we voice our complaints, a moment becomes less enjoyable for everyone.
I was talking with a friend on Friday about a challenge to spend 24 hours not complaining and see how it affects her outlook on life. After that, I found myself consumed in all that was going wrong: I'd been working on a project before heading over to a friend's house to get ready for our senior toga night at the football game when I was called and asked to bring hair spray and reminded that "I was missing all the fun." So I stopped working, packed up my stuff (including the hairspray), and headed over to the party. I arrived, walked in, was quickly asked for the hair spray, and found that there was trouble ordering pizza, so I offered to call and pick it up. And that's what they wanted, so that's what I did.
But as I left, I felt dejected--it seemed like barely anyone had said hello to me, though they seemed excited about the arrival of the hairspray and the soon-to-come pizza--so I drove away and continued to "miss all the fun."
Fortunately, we have a humorous God. I'd barely made it 50 yards when I saw one of my friends walking up to the wrong house. I called out my window and prevented her from walking into some random person's house to the party that wasn't there. Laughing, I drove to get the pizza and made note of the way the timing had to work out for me to have been there. God always has a bigger plan than we can see even though sometimes the circumstances seem to only be worth complaining about.
So for this weekend, I've had that on my mind. Complaining just isn't worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment