Friday, April 24, 2015

April 24: Who Deserves the Prize?

Tonight Hosa (an organization at my school for students interested in healthcare) hosted a tv show trivia night. We have been putting it together for months, collecting donated prizes for raffles, community sponsorships, trivia questions, etc. The event was a success, but that is not exactly where God stood out today.

One of the participants in trivia night was one of my teachers from last year. He loves trivia. He goes to trivia every week, and he also loves Hosa because he has experienced the impact and importance of good healthcare. So tonight, he came and supported us wholeheartedly. He brought a full team, bought a bunch of raffle tickets and food, helped us out whenever we asked, and continually brought a positive attitude to the evening. We called out the first few raffle prizes, and his number wasn't called. Then we called out several more, but still, none of his numbers were called. We were down to the last prize, a beautiful and yummy chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting from Piece of Cake, and the number-caller began. "Please let it be him, please, please, please," I thought to myself. The number had been read. No one stood to claim their prize. My eyes were on him. He nodded a little and raised his hand. I don't remember exactly what he said at that point, but later I heard that he really wanted that cake, so I was relieved that he at least got something for all of his contribution.

On the way home tonight, I began to think about God's actions. He is constantly supporting us, loving us, and providing for us, but how often do we call his number? How often does His get to claim His prize even though He is the supplier of all that went into them? Are we using what He has given us in a way that pleases Him? But He doesn't stop giving. In fact, is He seeking the prize? Or does He just love us so much that He keeps giving without expecting anything in return? (I'm going with the second one.)

Even though He loves unconditionally, I think we should still keep in mind that He is the provider of all that we have, and although He isn't requiring it or even expecting it, it might be nice for us to give the prize to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment