On days like today when my to-do list seems a mile high, it's easy to get caught up in me, me, me, and ignore the people around me, but today I recognized the greater need of those around me and the calling to be selfless people.
I had to work on a project with a partner today. We were assigned to write a short story based on a symbol from Great Gatsby. Unfortunately, my partner and I were both accustomed to being the leader, so we spent a long time debating what symbol we'd do and as we began to write, each sentence was a stylistic argument. Towards the end, we'd both figured out the give-and-take policy and had come to a consensus. I'd realized that I could finish the assignment without putting my focus onto what she wanted rather than my desires.
Later, I was in a class and the boy in front of me kept sighing and making frustrated noises. Though I wanted to keep pushing through all my assignments, I stopped and asked him what was bothering him. The rant began and I could tell he was finally able to relieve some of his stress. It was a wake up call to lock "me" in the closet and put on some more "you." Hopefully, it can stay this way.
No comments:
Post a Comment