Friday, April 10, 2015

April 10: Sympathy

Originally, I wanted to focus this blog post on my long-awaited trip to The Container Store today. I would have elaborated on how when we are super organized with our own stuff, we make a mess of what God has in store for us. That's not the focus of this post.

Today, I went by Kroger for my final meeting with the manager to get a donation for the upcoming Hosa trivia night. I'd been through previous face-to-face meetings and several phone calls, so I was ready to have the final outcome and be done. I walked to customer service, requested Mr. Kellogg, was directed to his office, and there he was, the same man I had spoken to just a few weeks ago. Except he looked awful. He looked weak and ill. His head had been shaved, revealing scars and accenting the dark bags under his eyes and presenting the remaining ear stub from a malformed/amputated ear. I was a little alarmed, but immediately, my heart of frustration softened to one of sympathy; whatever this man has been going through is far more important than my fundraiser.

This is where I most felt/saw God, not some container store with some deep metaphor, but in the simplicity of sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment