Monday, June 8, 2015

June 8: Fitting In

I'm an "accelerator" (small group leader) for a group of rising 3rd graders at Vacation Bible School this week. They are all a rowdy bunch of excited 7- and 8-year-olds, and several of the kids, of the girls in particular, were having trouble finding some friends. One girl was especially clingy to me, and during snack, she asked, "do you think I fit in?" It was clear to me that she wasn't "fitting in" to the crowd of third graders, but I couldn't tell her that.

I got thinking about how someone fits in, and I started thinking about girls' choir: we all fit in because we don't fit together, we're all different; a puzzle doesn't make a pretty picture if all the pieces are identical. God made each of us uniquely so that his plan, his puzzle, is the most beautiful masterpiece we have ever seen.

Now, how do I sum that up for a third grader?

"Ummm...you know what I think, I don't think it matters. We all have to be different to fit it. Does that make sense?" Silence. Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment