Thursday, May 28, 2015

May 28: Looking in the Wrong Place

This morning, I was headed to Goodwill to drop off some clothing donations. I pulled into a parking spot across from the building, got out of my car, and opened the trunk to get the bag out. Thankfully, I looked up at the building and noticed the "Goodwill" sign was down and a note was on the door. The note read, "We have not left you. Come visit us in our new location [basically down the parking lot a little ways]." So, sure enough, I went, and walked in and dropped off my stuff, and then I was headed to my mom's office to meet her for lunch.

I pulled into the parking lot there, turned off the car, grabbed my phone, and checked my messages, one from my mom read, "leaving church now." My thoughts went something like this, "wait. what? weren't we meeting here?" Change of plans--we would be meeting at the restaurant.

In both of these instances, I'd been looking in the wrong place. I wanted to donate my goods and meet my mom for lunch, but the places I went initially weren't the right ones, so I wouldn't be able to do what I wanted. In the same way, if we're looking for happiness and joy and peace, but we're searching in relationships with other people or in our wealth or appearance, we'll never get it; we're looking in the wrong place. In order to find true happiness, true joy, and true peace, we must look towards God.

No comments:

Post a Comment