Yesterday, I was trying to go to my little sister's (from GAGC) play, and when I left my house, my GPS said 25 minutes, so I'd get there 15 minutes before the show. Great!
I started on my way, and traffic was bad. 3 minutes extra here, 5 there, another 5...I was close to being late. Finally, it's 6:28 (the show started at 6:30), and I'm waiting at the final stop light. The destination, according to the GPS, was straight through the light, and it'd be on the right. I was going to Mt. Bethel UMC Sanctuary, and the day care was right there, on the corner, so I knew I had to be close. Finally, the light turned green, I continued straight, and the GPS said "you have arrived," and I'd entered onto a street of neighborhoods. Where is the church?
So I called her (my little sister's) mom to figure out where I was going. She said it was by the school, and I'd passed the elementary school on my way (about 5 minutes back). I made my way to the elementary school, and I didn't find a sanctuary. At this point, the show had already started, so I hesitated calling again, but I did and got voicemail, so I turned around and went by (another 5 minutes) to the day care area, which was the closest "Mt. Bethel" location to the address I was given. Of course, I didn't find it (again) even though I thought it might've been further down the road.
She called me back and told me it was on a different road than the address, so I went back to this stop light (which no matter what direction I was coming from, the light was ALWAYS red). I turned left, and started driving towards where I thought it would be. I didn't see it, so I doubted myself, and turned around to go the other way on this same road. Then, I really didn't see it, so I turned around again, and thought, if I just go farther this time, I'll find it. Sure enough, just past the road I turned around on, there was the church! I pulled in, and though I was 20 minutes late, I'd made it, and I got to see a bit of the show.
What did I take from all that? Don't place limits on yourself. I kept turning around because I thought I'd gone far enough or because I'd seen something that seemed like a more-correct place. If God has given us a destination, the journey might be different than expected. We might aim to get there at one time, but not make it until later. Or, it's not exactly where we were thinking it'd be. We've just got to go with the flow and trust that we will make it to where God's wants us one way or another.
No comments:
Post a Comment