Sunday, January 8, 2017

January 8: "The Depths Have Covered Them"

All day today I've had one line of a song stuck in my head. It's a song from Israel in Egypt (by Handel) and the line is "the depths have covered them." To be honest, I've been kind of frustrated with this tune which refuses to leave my mind. I mean, really? "The depths have covered them" doesn't feel like the most joy-filled statement. Not really what I want to be thinking as I prepare for another semester of college--I don't want the depths to cover me! I want to swim and make it to the other side.

But then it occurred to me: "Them" is referring to Pharaoh and his army in their pursuit of the Israelites during the exodus. "Depths" refers to the sea which drowned Pharaoh's men, freeing the Israelites from their reign and threat. It isn't "the depths have covered me." It's not a song of defeat, but a song of victory--God's victory! The enemy has been conquered! I am free!

So this is exactly the line I want stuck in my head as a begin this semester. Even when it seems that the enemy is indefeatable--when material seems impossible to understand, when exhaustion becomes unrelinquishing, when grades are plummeting, when relationships are wounded--God is victorious. "The depths have covered them." I think I'll be just alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment