This past week I've gotten into sketching trees. I'm talking tall trees with complex branches spewing off and around the top--some blossoming, some fully green, some naked (or unfinished). I've learned that sketching is just as, if not more, effective than coffee at keeping me alert in class. Nevertheless, trees are very relatable to God's presence throughout this past week.
I think I mentioned several days ago how we should act like trees and support one another. Going off of that, it has become clear that trees are just not made to stand alone: it is inefficient and just not as enjoyable. Still, each tree has its own look, its own unique beauty and style, but it has a better chance of maintaining and developing these strengths in the presence and community of others.
Many days this week I have found myself connecting with people through words, actions, and music. Through conversations ranging from the definition of marriage to getting out of your comfort zone to religious customs to our hilarious "little kid" stories to nonsense in random accents, I've witnessed the blessing of being able to have and share thoughts and experiences.
From listening to an amazing conductor explain the power of a song at uniting a community after the shock of 9/11 and then witnessing that unity between each individual--tall, short, fat, skinny, black, white, straight, and gay--in our choir, and even through my schoolwork about the roots of our country, I am reminded of the blessing of diversity.
And while making and writing almost many notes of encouragement for high school students working hard to defeat the chains of poverty, I've recognized the power we have as individuals to make it about more than ourselves as individuals. There's a bigger picture than just a tree--though many times, I get caught up in perfectly organizing the height and width, the placement of the branches, and the stage of the leaves; perhaps it's time to zoom out, to peer through the forest and genuinely take my place among the others.

No comments:
Post a Comment