Monday, January 23, 2017

January 23: Gossip

I think I've solved my "seeing God" problem in that he is much more apparent when I look into the whys and hows. Unfortunately, his absence is also a lot more apparent as I investigate my and others' hows and whys.

Gossip is a constant threat to relationships of love. It is easy to start talking about someone in a way that could be hurtful or critical. It is easy to complain about another person. It is easy; a lot of times, it just slips out. It's hard enough not to speak gossip, but it is even harder not to receive it. Many times today I found myself as the recipient of someone's gossip, and I immediately thought of why and how--and the answer was not Jesus.

So then what? I'm still not quite sure of the best way to handle this without damaging a friendship. I try to come up with something nice to say or simply change the subject. It's hard, but I'm ending today grateful for the recognition of a situation that needs God, that needs love.

No comments:

Post a Comment