Friday, January 13, 2017

January 13: Empathetic Support

I've been listening to a book about shame (I Thought It Was Just Me by Brene Brown), and today I listened to one segment that focused on the need for empathy to prevent placing someone else in a feeling of shame. With that in the back of my mind, I went roller skating tonight with CCF (Christian Campus Fellowship).

I haven't been roller skating in many years. In fact, I tried to teach myself to roller skate a year or two ago, by using a broom to balance myself and making circles around my garage. It didn't work out too well. So at the skating rink, after I'd finally managed to secure the skates to my feet, I cautiously stood up. Then I froze. What now?

Somehow I managed to step my way to the smooth surface of the rink, where one of my friends, Angel (far right of photo) took my hand and helped me balance as I began to skate. After a few loops, my other friend, Bethany (middle of photo), took my other hand, and also helped me. We continued around the rink. They never rushed me or pulled me, but encouraged me the whole time. Meanwhile, others were skating past us, also cheering me on. After several minutes and quite a few loops, Angel asked, "Are you ready for me to let go?"

"Nope," I quickly responded.

We continued to skate.

"Do you feel steady now?" asked Angel.

"Nope."

We had this conversation a few times, but soon my certainty of my failure diminished: "nope" to "no" to "I don't know" to "maybe" to "probably." And she let go. A few more paces and Bethany let go too! And there I went, and fell flat on my face! Just kidding!!! That's what I thought was going to happen. I didn't fall. In fact, I felt incredibly stable. The night continued and my skating skills improved. Angel and Bethany, along with many others, passed by several times cheering me on.

As I got more comfortable, my thoughts drifted from "don't fall. don't fall. don't fall." to pondering what amazing friends I have and how empathetic they are with their support. Not once did they say, "it's easy, just trust me" or urge me to let go and release them to their own speed and abilities, but they stayed with me. They found me where I was, and helped me along the way to getting better.

Those are the types of people we need in this world of wandering and wondering souls. We just need some guides, some mentors, some partners to lead others towards the Truth. Not someone to drag you to where they are in their faith, but just someone to show the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment