Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January 11: Childlike Joy

There's something about hearing a child giggle or seeing a child dance that brings contagious joy. Today, I had the pleasure of listening to an amazing mom speak about her daughter with special needs. She didn't speak with disappointment or frustration about her daughter's disabilities, but rather bragged about her accomplishments, her high expectations, her sassiness, and her joy. This evening, I was babysitting a two-year-old boy who would not stop giggling when he put his balloon in the kitchen sink. Every time it landed in the sink, I'd say, "What is a balloon doing in the sink?! That's silly!" And he'd laugh and laugh and laugh. And the balloon would end up in the sink more and more frequently, until we'd had this same occurrence at least 20-30 times. It took so little to fill him with joy.

I imagine God smiles the biggest when he hears us giggle, to see his children stunned and amused with the greatness of his creation. How many times have I overlooked something so simple and contributed it to being "normal" rather than a very specific characteristic of God's creation? Why do I spend moments without joy when I am surrounded by reminders of God's love and grace? It's about time I restore my joy, just like a child, grateful for all the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment