As I was walking today, I passed a woman working in her yard. She paid no attention to me, so I chose not to greet her and kept walking, but I got to thinking: what would Jesus have done? Would he have passed by her? Generally speaking, I'd say that most people enjoy being notice, rather than ignored, so, out of love, Jesus would've greeted her. So I kept walking with intentions of greeting the next person regardless of if they see me first.
As I approached another woman, I looked up, smiled, and waited for her to acknowledge me too when we would exchange our smiles. But she never looked up.
I did the same for another person passing by, but he did the same--he looked down. Why is everyone looking down? It got me thinking about a radio commercial for Dixieland which talks about looking up as well as the reasons for looking down--often to check a text message or busy ourselves on our phones to avoid an unnecessary encounter with another human. It's becoming a habit to look down, even when you're missing everything in front of you. And so, I encourage you to defy that habit and look up and see what you've been missing. Greet your neighbors. Reform your community. I think that's what Jesus would do.
No comments:
Post a Comment