Thursday, October 22, 2015

October 21: BOO

Last night, as I was beginning to cram for a calculus quiz, a loud three knocks came from the garage door. The dogs began to go crazy barking, and I, skeptical about who might be at the door, tip-toe into another room to look up the driveway and see if anyone is driving out. Humorously to my surprise, a bobbing flashlight illuminates the two young boys (likely the kids I babysit) sprinting up the driveway.

Now unafraid, I open the door and find the "You've been booed" package on the step. Couldn't have been better timing--a bucket full of candy seemed like a gift from God amidst my stressful studying.

But if I hadn't opened the door, if I'd run and hid, or if I'd been deaf enough not to hear the knock or the dogs, I wouldn't have found the gift. It was delivered within my reach, but I still had to make the effort to get it. Hmmmm... I wonder how many gifts from God are laying just within my reach that I have run from or ignored. I didn't need candy last night; I needed encouragement--would I have remembered that God is holding out his hand if a blazingly obvious bucket of candy hadn't arrived at my doorstep?

No comments:

Post a Comment