Before today, I had not researched the bizarre "national holidays" there are in America. Today, the first Friday of October, we celebrate National Simile Day. It is also National Custodial Worker Day and National Name Your Car Day. And I suppose that just like Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day, these are days to appreciate some aspect of life, whether it's custodians or smiles or a car. I wonder who came up with each of these holidays. Who said, "we need a day to appreciate smiles?" But it makes me wonder more why they can't be appreciated or recognized on any normal day and if smiling a so uncommon that a day dedicated to them is a big change?
But this gratitude (or lack there-of) is bigger than a National Smile Day. What about Easter and Christmas? Why can't the joy and hope and peace found in these days be found in every day? Do we spend a year forgetting, just so we can celebrate again, like we always have? What if we spent the year building on that celebration, like a spiraling staircase moving up and up, rather than a merry-go-round?
I don't know about you, but I'd rather every day be a celebration of Christ's birth and his resurrection. After all, I'm not just going to stop smiling tomorrow and wait until next year to grin again.
No comments:
Post a Comment