"Stop the train. In cases of emergency, pull on the chain (pull on the chain 'toot toot!'). Penalty for improper use, 5 pounds!"--GT choir warm up lyrics
Apparently March has been a full, very busy month so far. There have definitely been some God-glorifying moments and some that have not been quite so glorifying on my part. It is really easy for me to get caught up in getting done the stuff I'm responsible for and forget the importance of how I do that--where my heart is, where my priority is.
In this society I live in, both at Georgia Tech and in many middle-class, urban areas, there is particularly high emphasis on career development, "success", being the best, doing impressive things, being smart and wealthy. Where does a relationship with God fall into all of that?
It doesn't.
There's no way to fit the selfish mindset of developing your best and your goals into the selfless heart of love and compassion. Not to mention that your best without God will never compare to your best with God. And as much as "success" provides for a "better" life, it will never exceed the people we meet and memories we create on the way to building that life. Over the past two-ish weeks, I can barely even remember feeling tired, worried, stressed (though these things were definitely present), but I can not forget the moments of peace, joy, and love I have felt.
Like the tranquility of walking through Piedmont Park in my pjs with delicious (and free) Bruster's ice cream and two of my favorite people, fantasizing our futures, people-watching and enjoying the beauty of sunshine.
Like the joy of spontaneity and living in the now when we piggy-backed to get free pancakes at midnight.
Like being in awe of the masterpiece of our Creator, through the people he's made, the art he has made through them, and the light he shines on and through them.
Like spending an entire day enjoying these masterpieces and strengthening friendship by climbing more than 600 steps, walking 10 miles, eating cantaloupe skewered on chopsticks, and being sleeted on (yes, it is March).
And I've also realized that this is my first post since Lent began. Lent lasts 40 days partially as a remembrance of the temptation that Jesus had after spending 40 days fasting in the desert. I now recognize part of my temptation is to over prioritize schoolwork and over-obligate myself; perhaps this Lenten season is an ideal opportunity to, through faith and God's strength, trust the Lord, not my own means, to bring me to my best.
Relating back to the title and song of this post, sometimes we need to stop the train, get off, and get on the right one. It isn't easy. It is an inconvenience, but the sooner it happens, the easier it is to get back on track. I've finally stopped the train; the right train is coming, and I'm not gonna miss it.
No comments:
Post a Comment