Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 19: Glorify

We are called to glorify God. Glorify does not mean that we make God better; we are not improving his status, but simply making Him known in a positive light. We are not responsible for creating His good characteristics but only for turning our attention and others' to him rather than who we are or what we are doing.

I think this is more challenging than we realize. It is hard to do something or be a certain way in order to harness others' attention for God and not for who we are or what we are doing. Today, I saw what it means to glorify.

I had the absolute pleasure of being in the audience the senior recital of my dear friend, Haley. She was beautiful; her songs were beautiful, and her performance was stunning. She sang with emotion and allowed us to connect with her in the music. She ended her recital with a couple of songs that directed the meaning of her performance to the reason to sing, thanking and worshipping God in the process. It didn't take words or even actions, but rather a purity of intention. It was so clear that she was performing for a reason bigger than herself; my attention drifted from her towards the bigger image of God's will and presence.

I hope we can all find ways of glorifying God with our gifts and interests. If all of us learn to do like Haley, I think we'd find ourselves in communities of people who have their eyes on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment