Thursday, February 26, 2015

February 26: Taking the Lead or Losing Control?

It was obvious what God was telling me today.

First, my day started with a devotional about the purpose of lent. Often times, we focus on ourselves--"I'm giving up this," "I'm doing this," "I'm giving this,"--and it's not about God. Lent is not a time to reflect about ourselves, but rather to reflect God's mercy and holiness. I have to give up myself--my control--for him and his leadership.

Next, I went to choir. Our director would be coming in late from a meeting, and our pianist had laryngitis, so I was put on the spot to direct the rehearsal. Of course, I didn't know how. I hadn't had training nor time to plan. I selected a piece to sing and then sat down. I couldn't do it. I was given control, but I quickly realized that I was not prepared and didn't have the responsibility to handle it appropriately.

Third, on the way home, I tried using cruise control. Basically, I, for a moment, gave up control to the car, trusting that it would maintain the speed. At first, it was a little nerve-wracking, even though the brake peddle was just centimeters away. It occurred to me that I had to risk a little as I withdrew my control.

God needs us to do the same. We need to let it go (no pun intended). Giving Him the control takes risk and trust. But that's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment